Sunday, August 12, 2007

Museums

Today was our day to visit some of Washington D.C.'s famous museums. In the morning, the students chose between the National Museum of the American Indian and the National Gallery of Art. Six students came with me to the NGA, and the rest went with the mentors to the NMAI. At the National Gallery, I took the students around to see the 12 most significant works of art, including Leonardo da Vinci's Ginevra de Benci, one of Monet's Rouen cathedral paintings, and a self-portrait by Rembrandt; then we had lunch, and after that everyone went to see what they chose until 2:00. (I went to the East Wing to see a lovely exhibit of small French paintings.)

At 2:00 we met the rest of the group and everybody went to the Museum of Natural History, where we spent two hours looking at the many fascinating exhibits: gems and minerals, mammals, nature photography, geology, etc. At 4:45, I took 9 of the students back to the Quality Inn, and the rest went with the mentors to visit the memorials they had missed last Sunday when they went to the Performing Arts Center to hear Brahms. They must have been exhausted (I know I was)!

This album is powered by BubbleShare - Add to my blog

No comments: